Thursday 14 March 2013

The Germans have a word for being alone in the woods

The Germans have a word for being alone in a forest. I've been alone in a German forest and I think, frankly, they need to go further and be more specific.

Waldeinsamkeit a sort of wooded-loneliness, is one of those words we don't have in English (there are lists of these pleasures on the thingyweb).

Years ago I walked down the Rhine south of Koblenz, alone. I loved it.

Walkers and follow-your-nose runners will know if you don't know an area then certain things help you not get lost: hills, landmarks, clear lines of sight.

Woods can be very disorientating. A lost path with no reference points is confusing.

I found on my Huensruck ramblings that pine forest is worse. It's quieter. There are fewer things living there than in English broadleaf so no comforting chirp and scamper. The needles or their acidic drop undergrowth inhibitors also muffle.

Yes, I did just write acid drop undergrowth inhibitors and shame on you, you are still reading.

So a German forest is altogether worse for getting lost in, when you are alone. And everyone knows some sort of Grimm hag or goblin oven fate awaits you in the Teutonic arboreal.

Just saying they need to beef their word up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment